Matunga is a suburb of Mumbai. It is famous for its educational institutions. Apart from Matunga and Matunga Road stations, the Harbour Line station of King's Circle is also located in Matunga. It was dominated by South Indians especially Tamil Brahmins. Matunga is now mostly dominated by Jain Gujaratis and Kutchis the likes of Cheddas & Waghads. The celebrations of Ganesh Chaturthi are on a grand scale in Matunga. With the most famous being the Vardharajan Ganpati or the now so called Matunga Station Ganpati and the Huge Idol at Mohanlal Mansion.
Matunga has long been a hub of education in Mumbai. In 1887, Mumbai's first engineering college, Victoria Jubilee Technological Institute (VJTI) was founded. It was later renamed to Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute. The setting up of the S.I.E.S. (South Indian Education Society) in 1932 was a great boon to the predominantly South Indian Brahmin population of Matunga. Starting as a primary school in a rented room in the Jain Boarding School premises, the S.I.E.S. organization now has fifteen schools, Colleges, etc in its stable with student strength of around 18000 and teaching staff strength of under 500.
- Ramnarain Ruia College of Arts & Science
- Guru Nanak Khalsa College (King's Circle)
- Ruparel College
- Ramniranjan Anandilal Podar College of Commerce & Economics
- Welingkar Institute of Management Research and Development
- Mumbai University Institute of Chemical Technology (formerly UDCT)
- Veermata Jijabai Technical Institute (formerly Victoria Jubilee Technical Institute)
- Don Bosco High School
- Amulak Amichand High School
- South Indian Education Society High School
- Shrimati Damodar Thakersey College S.N.D.T. College.
After break-up with BJP, Marathi manoos throws weight behind Shiv Sena - Times of India
Fri, 24 Feb 2017 01:40:07 GMT
Mumbai: Two works of poetess Anitha Poojary released - Daijiworld.com
Wed, 22 Feb 2017 09:36:49 GMT
BMC polls: 5 things that Mumbai's high voter turnout tells us - Hindustan Times
Wed, 22 Feb 2017 07:06:51 GMT
More News & Videos